We will be using the milestone of the School’s 130th birthday to launch a new initiative called ‘St Christopher’s in the Community’ – an opportunity for our children/staff to give something back to our local community by pledging 130 hours a year to help those in need in our community.
This initiative is not about raising money, but instead puts our school within the heart of our local community where children and staff will volunteer their time or expertise for a number of hours.
We will support this by creating a new hub on the School’s website where we will showcase some of the volunteering work we will do and make it a regular feature in our school newsletter and create space on a notice board within the School.
Examples could include (this is obvious;y not an exhaustive list):
- Visiting eldering people in local care homes
- Bringing xmas joy to our community by singing xmas carols in key locations
- Help elderly neighbours with errands
- Hosting tea parties in the school for elderly people to come in
- Planting flowers/plants in the local community gardens (support from council)
Each quarter we will track progress to show the number of hours we have delivered and also highlight children who go the extra mile. We hope, as well as hosting events within school including opportunities within our ECHO time, that pupils and their families will want to look for opportunities to help out and then share these with the School, in the same way we currently hear about pupil successes.